Monday, June 16, 2008

RIP Frank Rumph and Tony Butterfield

So, since I woke up feeling great today... I didn't mind that one of my oldest friends from high school texted me at 9am. Her and her husband, one of my other long time friends, Cortland, came back to town for the weekend and since they couldn't make it for any of the 8 funerals in the last 3 years they had no idea where any of the grave sites were. I figured I haven't been out there in a while so I should go visit them.
As you know, Buchanan has had 6 young men die fighting in the war and I was especially good friends with 1. RIP Tony... However, on top of those 6, 2 others have lost their lives as well. Including one of my best friends since the 9th grade... RIP FRANK RUMPH.
This was Frank his senior year. Many who know Frank knew of his outrageous stuggles in his life. However, a year ago, Frank decided to change his life and go into rehab... He had been clean and sober for 10 months and was happier then ever. However, on April 16, 2008, Frank died of a heart attack. Not because he had relapsed, but because his heart simply couldn't take anymore from the years of drug abuse. Frank was an amazing person and he'll always be remembered. This is Frank the day before he died...

Tony was another great friend of mine. Our senior year of high school Tony started dating my best friend MacKenzie. She was finally happy. Tony came back from boot camp, but I didn't see him. He left for his first tour and never came back. Tony and 6 other men entered a house in Iraq not knowing what was inside. A bomb went off. Tony helped one soldier out of the burning house only to go back in for the others. Tony came out one more time, but went in again. That time, Tony didn't make it out. Tony saved the lives of 2 men that day and was awarded the Purple Heart. His headstone now reads, "Our Hero." Tony really is a hero and he too will always be remembered.

No comments: